Pasta with Sausage and Braised Peppers
Per Serving: 520 calories, 29g fat, 45g carb, 19g protein, 1010mg sodium
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water, and then drain the pasta but do not rinse it. Set pasta aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Put the sausage in the skillet and cook for 7-9 minutes until the sausage is cooked through, breaking it into small crumbles as it cooks. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and use more paper towel to press as much fat out of the sausage as possible. Do not wipe out the skillet.
3.Return the skillet to medium-high heat and pour in the oil. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and starting to brown.
4. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the tomatoes to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute, then return sausage to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Add the pasta and reserved water to the skillet, stir, cook for another 3 minutes, and remove from heat.
1. Spread the pasta mixture out evenly on dehydrator trays fitted with a solid plastic tray insert.
2. Place the trays in the dehydrator. Set the dehydrator to 140F and set for 8 hours.
3. At 8 hour mark check the pasta. The pasta and vegetables should be firm and should not feel moist. If necessary, continue to dry the vegetables for another 1-2 hours.
on the trail:
Add a little more than 1/2 cup of boiling water (per serving) to the bag. Mix it well, cover, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Stir pasta again before eating.