Why to dehydrate grilled vegetables, when you can dry fresh, or that even easier, frozen vegetables instead? Well, yes, you’ll need to spend a bit more time in the kitchen, but believe me, the result is worth it. Grilled or roasted vegetables will bring much more color, taste and flavor into any dish you’ll add them to.
Of course, if you don’t bother much about the taste of your backpacking food, you can skip this post. But true hiking gourmets for sure will understand 🙂
What you’ll need:
2 medium zucchini
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
You can use also any other vegetables you like (aubergines, tomatoes etc.)
- Heat the oven to 400°F/200C. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Wash vegetables and cut into small cubes, about 1 cm thick.
- Pour vegetables into prepared baking dish, season with salt.
- Roast/grill vegetables for about 20-30 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Spread grilled vegetables on dehydrator trays covered with non-stick sheets or parchment paper.
- Dehydrate at 135F/57C for about 6-8 hours until completely dry and leathery.
- Let cool, then pack into airtight container or zip-lock bag. Store in dry, dark and cool place.
Dehydrated grilled vegetables rehydrate very well. Just mix it with equal quantity of hot water, stir well, and let sit in a cozy for 5 to 10 minutes. If you’ll mix it with other ingredients such as meat or fish, rehydration may take a bit longer.